Basil Eggplant Lasagna
I use to love eating eggplant lasagna before I knew I had celiac. After becoming diagnosed, I discovered that my favorite eggplant lasagna in the refrigerated section at Trader Joe’s had flour in it. So I made my own gluten free version of this eggplant lasagna! It was just as delicious as a remembered it. Here is so I did it.
- 1 eggplant
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 12oz tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 eggs
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves, thinly cut
- 1 tablespoon oregano
1. Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Line a cooking sheet with foil.
2. Peel and cut eggplant into quarters lengthwise. Drizzle olive oil on top of each eggplant and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes.
3. In a medium size pan heat olive oil and garlic. Once hot, add turkey to pan and cook for about 8-10 minutes until brown on all sides. Remove any excess fat and add in diced onion and oregano and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce.
4. In a medium bowl mix the ricotta, parmesan cheese, eggs, and sliced up basil together until you reach an even consistency.
5. In a large casserole dish begin to layer lasagna in this order: 1/2 of the ricotta/parmesan cheese blend, eggplant, remaining ricotta/parmesan cheese blend, turkey meat and tomato sauce, and top with mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle top with oregano and cover dish with foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
6. Serve warm with fresh basil leaves on top and enjoy!
I started this blog three years ago after I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. After struggling to adjust to a mandatory gluten free diet, I wanted to create a resource for others trying to learn their way around this gluten filled world.