Pumpkin Apple Pie
Gathering with my family for the holidays, desserts that were celiac safe were always the most difficult items to come across. That is until I came across this simple and easy recipe holiday pumpkin pie recipe and a pre-made gluten free pie crust from Trader Joe's.
To give it a fun twist and to add a little extra flavor of fall, I topped my pumpkin pie with thinly sliced apples. This is fall dessert promises to be a big hit, even with gluten lovers, at you next holiday gathering.
- 1 Gluten Free Pie Crust (The one used here was purchased at Trader Joes.)
- 1 Can Solid Pumpkin
- 1 Can Evaporated Milk
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 4 tsp Butter
- 1/2 Cup Gluten Free Flour
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar (Packed)
- 1 Apple thinly sliced (if desired)
1. Pre-heat oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Mix together all of the ingredients for the pie filling (pumpkin, evaporated milk, egg, and spices).
2. Pour the filling into the gluten free pie crust. Bake pie in over for about 40-50 minutes. The pie is done when you can stick a knife in the center about 2 inches deep and remove clean with no stick.
3. Mix together topping ingredients and sprinkle onto of the pie. Place pie back in oven for another 10 minutes.
4. If you wish, thinly slice up an apple and decorate the top of the pie. The apple gives it a refreshing taste to the pumpkin pie. Let cool, and enjoy!
I started this blog three years ago after I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. After struggling to adjust to a mandatory gluten free diet, I wanted to create a resource for others trying to learn their way around this gluten filled world.